Music tuitionWhat is specialist music tuition?

In addition to the benefits of expressive arts education within Curriculum for Excellence, you may apply for your son or daughter to receive specialist instrumental tuition.

Tuition is limited to one instrument per pupil. In exceptional circumstances, SQA Music pupils may be able to learn a second instrument, but only if there are no other pupils requiring this space.

What are the benefits of specialist instrumental tuition?

  • Professional and highly skilled teaching staff.
  • Opportunities to play in an ensemble, band, orchestra or choir.
  • Regular public performances.
  • Opportunity to prepare for the grade examinations of the Associated Board of the Royal School of Music and similar external awarding bodies.
  • Information about instrumental hire schemes.
  • A written report of your child's performance, progress and prospects with his or her instrument/voice.

How do I register my child for a place?

  1. Complete the online application form between May and the week before school returns in August.
  2. At the start of the new session all new applicants are interviewed. Existing pupils, available spaces and timetables are reviewed and tutors allocate spaces.
  3. Pupils who apply outwith the application period may be assessed depending on availability on the tutor's timetable.
  4. Unsuccessful applicants will remain on the reserve list for the remainder or the academic year as spaces can become available at any time during the year.
  5. There are other Council music schemes outwith school and this information is given to unsuccessful applicants at the appropriate stage.
  6. Continuing pupils complete an annual update form to assist with correct fee charges.

What is expected of my child?

  • To attend lessons and practise regularly.
  • To show a reasonable aptitude for the instrument.
  • To join one or more council¬†ensembles.
  • To take part in school extra-curricular activities on their instrument/voice.
  • To represent their school and the Council by performing in public.

For further information please contact us. 

Rate this Page